the preformed packing (2), and the
8. Operator's Maintenance
m i c r o p h o n e element (1) from the
Operator's maintenance consists primarily
of preventive maintenance. Follow the pre-
ventive maintenance procedures for the equip-
b. Replacing Microphone Element.
ment with which the H-189/GR is used.
(1) Place the microphone element (1)
in the handle with the element pins
Caution: When cleaning the receiver-trans-
a l i g n e d with the contacts in the
mitter cover (9, fig. 2) and the microphone
mouthpiece (4, fig. 2), do not insert sharp
tools into the holes.
Caution: Failure to properly align
the pins with the contacts may dam-
9. Organizational Maintenance
age the element.
(2) Replace the preformed packing (2)
Organizational maintenance consists of re-
over the microphone element.
placing the microphone and earphone ele-
(3) Replace the microphone shield (3)
ments, shields, packing, O-ring, and covers
over the preformed packing.
and lubrication of the O-ring in the U-229/U.
The microphone and earphone elements can
(4) Replace the microphone mouthpiece
be checked by substitution. No tools are re-
( 4 ) and tighten it by turning it
quired for replacing these parts.
a. Removal of Microphone Element.
c. Removal of Earphone Element.
(1) Remove the microphone mouthpiece
(4) by turning it counterclockwise.
cover (9) by turning it counterclock-
(2) Remove the microphone shield (3),